CLEO BEAUTY SUPPLY
We are back with our first Young Entrepreneurs Of The Week (YEWGlobal) interview of the year 2018, however, before I start I will like to wish everyone a happy and prosperous New Year. This week we interviewed a brilliant young lady in Ghana, (West Africa) and her story of how she established her company in another country is very impressive and motivational. This particular interview is for every individual trying to relocate to another country for work, education, internship or, to set up a brand new business.
Maabena, also known as Cleo is a 27-year-old Canadian born Ghanaian who resides in Accra, Ghana. Less than a year ago, she decided to take the leap of faith by relocating to the motherland to pursue her dream of starting her own beauty supply establishment.
Cleo Beauty Supply provides high quality yet affordable beauty products ranging from; haircare, skincare, cosmetics, Men's products, accessories, fragrances and toiletries which are all imported from the United States. Both retail and wholesale pricing are offered to individuals and salon professionals. Maabena has always been passionate about self-care, beauty and art leading to one of the main reasons why she decided to get involved in the beauty product industry. She stated that;
"Due to technology and social platforms such as, Youtube and Instagram, more and more Africans are being exposed to different methods of beauty which has resulted in a large demand for it."
Her ultimate vision within the next ten years is to become a franchise and open up several locations all across Ghana and West Africa.
At this point, the nation of Ghana is developing at a rapid pace. There is a large movement of diasporas who are bringing their skills and ideas to the country in order to develop business establishments. For those who are interested in entrepreneurship in Ghana, it is vital to do all the research necessary in the field or industry of interest and network to acquire enough knowledge.
Maabena also included in her interview that she has experienced several difficulties such as working extra late hours and adjusting to the system of living in Ghana. However, the satisfaction of being able to provide quality goods to consumers and their feedbacks has given her the determination to carry on forward.
1. What is your name? - My name is Cleo.
2. Where are you from? - I am originally from Canada born and raised in Toronto.
3. What is the name of your company? - The name of my company is Cleo Beauty Supply.
4. Where is the company located? - Cleo Beauty Supply is located at Dome, Pillar Two (Accra, Ghana).
5. When was the company established? - This company was established six months ago.
6. How did you get the idea? - This idea developed from my passion for beauty care and from the lack of foreign beauty supplies in Ghana. After moving to Ghana a year ago, I realized the need for certain brands from countries such as U.S, U.K and Canada and took it as an opportunity to sell.
7. Was it something you've always wanted to do? - Beauty-care has always been my passion from childhood. As a child, I've always been obsessed with my mother's cosmetics, hair and skincare. As I got older, the obsession turned into a passion and I looked for ways to turn this passion into a paycheque. I've always admired the operation of beauty supply shops in North America and thought it would be a brilliant idea to bring the concept to Ghana.
8. What has been the ups and downs while establishing the company or after establishing it? - Starting a business is never easy. It's comparable to riding a roller coaster. There are definitely ups and downs. One downside about running this establishment are the long hours I spend at my store and the fact that I have to make my own decisions. I do not have a boss I can report to or depend on which means I depend on myself for a lot of the decision making. On a positive note, I have the freedom and control to run this business in different ways.
9. Where do you see this company in 5 years time? - In the next five years, I see this company expanding with various locations all across Accra. Once I build my clientele, I would love to get into the branding of my own products to sell to the public.
10. Is your business a full-time self-employed occupation or a part-time occupation? - At the moment my business is a full-time self-employment. I’ve employed two sales associate and delivery person for online orders. Once I establish a decent team to manage this establishment I will go part-time in order focus on other business ventures.
11. What advice would you give to anyone trying to emerge in the same business? - For those who are interested in the beauty supply industry, it is important to set aside time for some serious organisation, research and knowledge. Creating business plans, figuring out a budget, knowing your target market, finding a location and the right suppliers are all factors that should be in consideration.
12. Do you have any social media platforms for the company? - I currently have social media platforms for Cleo Beauty Supply, it is listed below.
Instagram: Cleobeautysupplystore|Facebook: Cleo Beauty Supply|Tel/WhatsApp: +2330508201525 |Email: Cleobeautystore@gmail.com
Once again, on the behalf of the YEW Global team we will like to wish Cleo Beauty Supply all the best to her company and Maabena as an entrepreneur. YEW Global admires your determination and perseverance to achieve your dreams.
Do not forget to subscribe to the website and follow @yew_global on Instagram as we are branching into different ways to interview our young entrepreneurs across the globe soon so stay tuned.